Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Learning to shop at CVS & Walgreens

Since I started blogging a few months ago I really have been learning alot about couponing and how to shop at CVS & Walgreens to get more bang for your buck.  I usually only went into these stores to pick up prescriptions or birthday cards.  Did you know that you can use a coupon from the Walgreens paper and use a manufacturer coupon for the same item?  I didn't know that.  For instance last week Dawn dish detergent was on sale for 99 cents with the coupon from the Walgreens paper....I had a $1.oo off 2 dawn detergents manufacturer coupon...sooooo I got 2 detergents for 98 cents!!

A few weeks ago I earned $2.50 extra care bucks from CVS.  I think it was because I purchased 5 puffs plus tissues which were on sale for $1.00 and I had 5 coupons I received from a sample of puffs plus from Vocal Point.  The tissues cost me 50 cents a box and I earned the $2.50 Extra care bucks.  Normally I would have held on to that extra buck in my wallet and remember to use it after it expired.  After reading someone's blog last week (can't remember which one) this woman says she uses her register rewards from Walgreens and Extra Care Bucks from CVS to buy staples like milk, bread, and eggs.  She was right!  Insead of hanging on to those little rewards and waiting to see what you can use them on why not use them for everyday staples.  I went back into CVS and purchased a box of Sweet and Low for $2.89 used my extracare bucks and only paid 39 cents out of pocket.  This was something I needed and would have purchased it at the regular food store.

I am now becoming a regular shopper at the drug stores and trying not to purchase things I don't need.  My next step is going to be putting my coupon savings in an envelope everytime I use a coupon to see how much money I am actually saving with coupons.  Then maybe Mr. Wonderful will stop calling me cheap and realize that I am really saving money.  Just maybe my coupon savings can take us on vacation!!

No comments: